Component one: US Film
Written examination 1 hour 30 minutes - 35% of qualification
You will study three US films for this component; exploring the key elements of film form +(cinematography, mise-en-scene, editing and sound) and the social, cultural, historical and technological contexts.
Case study films include a comparison of Invasion of the Body Snatcher (Siegel, USA 1956) and E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (Spielberg, USA, 1982) and a single study of the independent film The Hurt Locker (Bigelow, USA, 2008)
Component two: Global film - Representation, Narrative and Film Style
Written examination 1 hour 30mins 35% of qualification
You will study three films produced outside of the US for this component; exploring how they represent key themes of issues of the time period and location through their narratives and application of film form (cinematography, mise-en-scene, editing and sound).
Case study films will include: Attack The Block (Cornish, UK, 2011), Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle, UK, 2008) and Let the Right One In (Alfredson, Sweden, 2008).
Component three: Production
30% of qualification
Production is integral to the study of film and may take the form of:
- either a filmed extract from a genre film (2 minutes to 21⁄2 minutes)
- or an extract from a screenplay for a genre film (800 to 1000 words).
You will also provide an evaluative analysis of the production (750 to 850 words), which analyses and evaluates the production in relation to other professionally produced films or screenplays
Component 1: Exploring the media - Written paper - 1 hour 30 minutes - 40% of GCSE
Section A: Exploring media language and representation
- Magazine front covers - Pride (Nov 2015) & GQ (July 2016)
- Film posters (marketing) - The Man With The Golden Gun (1974) & Spectre (2015)
- Newspaper front pages - The Guardian (04/09/15) & The Sun (18/12/13)
- Print advertisements - Quality Street (1954) & This Girl Can (2015)
Section B: Exploring media industries and audiences
- Newspapers - The Sun
- Radio - The Archers
- Film - Industry only - Spectre
- Video Game - Pokemon Go
Component 2: Understanding media forms and products - Written paper - 1 hour 30 minutes - 30% of GCSE
- Television - Luther, Series 1, Episode 1 (2010) BBC & The Sweeney, Series 1, Episode 1 (1975) ITV
- Music - Katy Perry, Roar (2013) and Pharrell Williams, Freedom (2015)
Component 3: Creating media products - 30% of GCSE You will choose from a menu of briefs, that include moving image, print media, web development and marketing campaigns, and complete one practical production assignment.